Using Symbols and Source Server for Official Releases
After downloading an official release, you can get symbols (.pdb files) and/or step through source code.
To download symbols, configure the following settings under Options in Visual Studio:
- Under Debugging | General, uncheck Enable Just My Code.
- Under Debugging | Symbols, add the following symbol file location :
To step through the source code, configure the following additional setting:
- Under Debugging | General, check Enable source server support
The above settings should be sufficient for more recent official releases. For older releases, such as MVC 4 and Web API 1, some additional steps may be required:
- Under Debugging | General, uncheck Enable .NET Framework source stepping
- Under Debugging | Symbols, uncheck all other symbol file locations (especially uncheck Microsoft Symbol Servers).
- Under Debugging | Symbols, select Empty Symbol Cache
If these settings are insufficient, try the