Is ASP.NET WEB API 2 Production Ready

Topics: ASP.NET Web API
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Hi,

I need to know certain information related to WEB API that has to be bring to the CTO. Only question they asked finally, is this technology stable enough to take it on a production environment? and the Performance compared to other already existing technologies? :) Please help me out on clarify this..

I would like to know whether the ASP.NET WEB API 2 is production ready?? Whether we can use it in the production environment for our product or not?

I had google with "WCF vs WEB API on REST Services?" All mentioned both has performance..
It would be very much appreciated that share your ideas as well..

Thank You
Pubudu
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Every release of a stable NuGet package by Microsoft is production ready and supported by Microsoft. ASP.NET Web API is our recommended stack for building HTTP services on .NET.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Roth
Marked as answer by pubuduceo on 3/6/2014 at 11:14 AM
Mar 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Hi Daniel,

"My favorite user name danroth27" in Microsoft Web Camp TV, <<Securing ASPNET WebAPI>>

You may be wondering.... :) :)

Thanks a lot dany... I really existed of hearing from you. I'm one of your fan ...

I have 3 other questions.. Can you please help me out in this regard as well? I'll ask one by one..

1) Can we use OAuth with WCF REST and SOAP endpoints?

Thank You
Pubudu
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM
The basic OAuth 2 flow is technology agnostic. Our OWIN based implementation of OAuth 2 also isn't specifically tied to Web API, but it is the preferred framework from Microsoft for building HTTP services on .NET.
Mar 7, 2014 at 6:02 AM
Every release of a stable NuGet package by Microsoft is production ready and supported by Microsoft. ASP.NET Web API is our recommended stack for building HTTP services on .NET.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Roth
Hi Daniel,

Management again came back to me after the above confirmation on Production Ready with following questions.

I really need to go ahead with these new technologies and I don't want to be late. I need to make this convince level. I really appreciate your help in this regard.

1) Which companies are currently using the WEB API in their production environment?
2) Which sort of support that we can get if required? Some thing like SLA required and so on...

I'm from enTrust&Title which is UAE based. We are an e-signature and document forensics company. So we are going to use this WEBAPI in our product.

Again thanks for your valuable time dany.. Please help me out...

Thank You
Pubudu
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM
ASP.NET Web API is used extensively both inside and outside of Microsoft. For example, ASP.NET Web API is used by the Unified Communications Web API (UCWA) in Lync Server (see http://ucwa.lync.com/).

ASP.NET Web API is fully supported by Microsoft (just like ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web Forms, ASP.NET Web Pages, etc). It is maintained as an active open source project and we welcome contributions from the community (i.e. we fix bugs and you can fix them too). For details on Microsoft support options please see http://support.microsoft.com/ph/548.

Daniel Roth
Marked as answer by pubuduceo on 4/2/2014 at 2:59 AM