Is there any plans to leave System.Web dependencies behind?

Topics: General
Jan 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM
I'm mainly interested if this is something where .NET web stack is heading.

Reason: Linux.
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Many of our newer frameworks don't have a direct System.Web.dll dependency, but are instead built on top of the OWIN abstraction (ex SignalR, Web API). But that doesn't mean System.Web.dll is being left behind. The Microsoft OWIN Components (i.e. "Katana") include components for integrating OWIN based components with System.Web.dll based applications (check out the Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb NuGet package). This means existing System.Web.dll investments will continue to carry forward and be able to take advantage of Microsoft and community efforts based on OWIN.
Feb 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Hi there, since you're interested in Linux (or BSDs, for that matter), you should take a look at my project, (Fos. It is a Mono compatible Owin hosting solution that works side by side with a FastCgi enabled server, like nginx, apache or lighttpd, amongst others; you can download it on NuGet too.
Of course, this does not solve your problem of choosing a Web Application Stack (the biggest concern in your question), but when the System.Web dependency is left behind - and it probably will some day - you can think of Fos a hosting solution. The project is still in its early days, but I like to dream of a bright future to it, mostly as a way to take .NET and Microsoft's programming languages to the Linux/BSD world.
Hope it helps!