Overriding Membership and Roles table names

Topics: ASP.NET Web Pages
Sep 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Using the SimpleMembershipProvider and SimpleRoleProvider classes in WebMatrix.WebData make it easy to pass in the name of the user table. I was wondering if the same approach was considered for the membership and roles tables.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM

This was designed a couple years ago and I honestly don't remember if we considered that. Feature requests should be made on the issue tracker here. That said, why do you need to change the names of those tables? What are you trying to accomplish?

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I'd like to have control over the names of the membership and roles tables, similar to how I can currently pass in the name of the user table.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Sure, I understand what you want. I'd like to understand why you want control over the names though. Is it simply because you just want that control over the names (perfectionism?) or is there a reason you really need it (some limitation for some scenario you're trying to do?). Thanks!

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Perfectionism/ consistency with an existing db, I suppose. Optional parameters would be handy here, but I don't know if I'm the only one to ask/ care about this. I'd be willing to work on a PR if anyone else saw benefit in it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I would suggest opening an item in the issue tracker since others can vote on it. That will give you an idea if anybody else cares. The perfectionist in me completely gets it and wants it, but the pragmatist in me says "if most people don't need it, don't add it". I could personally go either way, but we definitely won't add it unless we hear quite a few people wanting it. Other items are more important. It might be small enough to do a PR if you'd like though. I'd suggest adding the item first and discussing with the rest of the team and the community first though.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Item 404 has been added to the Issue Tracker.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Optional parameters would be handy here, but I don't know if I'm the only one to ask/ care about this
Thanks
Web Site API