HttpClient Source

Topics: ASP.NET Web API, General
Mar 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I understand this source is for the web stack, however, there is an overlap with web api and the http client source. Will the HttpClient (System.Net.Http) source be released here?

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

We have no plans right now to release the source for System.Net.Http.dll here.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Thanks.  Hopefully, it is planned sooner rather later. As you know, it contains fundamental abstractions for the web api and to properly contribute the System.Net.Http source will inevitably be needed.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Help me to understand why you want the System.Net.Http sources. Since the assembly is part of the core .NET Framework, we do not directly control that code (though we do obviously closely collaborate with the team that does). So, if we were to bring the source here, assuming they were okay with it becoming open source, it would likely be as a readonly snapshot of the code that exists in the .NET Framework. We would not be able to take pull requests against it, and any bugs or issues we found with it would have to go through the standard processes for the .NET Framework, no different for example than if we wanted the source for and/or found an issue with the String class.
Mar 30, 2012 at 3:22 AM

My only point is that it contains core WebAPI  framework elements, to name a few: HttpContent, HttpResponse/RequestMessage, DelegatingHandler,. In the future, it seems likely that it will be difficult for someone (outside of Microsoft) to effectively contribute features to WebAPI when this is still closed source.  

At a minimum, if System.Net.Http becomes open source it is a step in the right direction.

On another note, have you guys thought about creating a System.Net.Http.Abstractions assembly (or something similar) that holds the common abstractions between HttpClient and WebAPI and bringing this into the stack?